The BURGERHASH POW (Proof Of Work) algorithm is being developed with a specific goal in mind:
make it hard for expensive specialized hardware (GPUs, ASICs) to adapt to it!
In order to be able to achieve this, the complexity of the algorithm has to be increased every 100k blocks (ca 10 weeks).
These updates require a fork each time, and have to follow a strict rule set to qualify as candidate:
1) An update may not cause the hash rate to drop more than 20% (CPU benchmark)
2) An update may only add new complexity and never remove old one
3) An update has to introduce a new "approach" that wasn't already used in a previous update
4) An update has to be applied to the BURGER (testnet) chain first and be tested thoroughly
5) An update has to be presented and made open source at least 2 weeks before the next fork event
1) 2) and 3) are mandatory, while 4) and 5) serve as mere guide lines that may be subject to change